tel: 022 21784
Follow Us On Twitter!
For All The Latest News From Alberts...
The building housing Albert Lynch' s was originally part of a Church of Ireland school for the Cloyne diocese. After the diocesan college closed, local landlord Sir Denham J. Norreys of Mallow Castle bought the buiding and then leased it to a Daniel Relihan, who became the pub's first licensee on 1 September 1851.
In 1875, the lease was acquired by Denis Browne who took over the licence on 22 June that year and the license has been in the same family ever since. Though Denis was licensee, much of the daily work was done by his sister Barbara.
In January 1910, the Browne family agreed to sell the lease to Barbara' s husband Albert Lynch and the pub still bears his name today. Albert used the pub's location across the road from the town's "Fairfield" and next door to Mallow Courthouse to great effect.
The Old Mart
As well as farmers and cattle-dealers, his clientele included criminals and rogues, judges, lawyers and policemen. He used the extensive college buildings to the rear of the pub to store fodder and animal foodstuffs, and he was one of the few people in the town supplying hay and grain to farmers on market days.
» View our Gallery for photos taken on the last day of Mallow Mart
Before the pub was renovated, the public toilets were at the rear of the pub at the far end of a backyard - many customers would' nt make the full journey across the yard when spending a penny, choosing out of laziness or disrespect for the law to relieve themselves against the courthouse wall instead! Albert's proximity to the courthouse didn't prevent the pub from being used as a republican safe-house during the Black and Tan war.
In 1935, the pub was inherited by Albert's daughter Ellen, who married an auctioneer from Doneraile, Dominick Murphy, who then ran his auctioneering business from premises next to the pub. Until 1983, it was Ellen- or "Nellie, as she was affectionately known- who ran the bar. Nellie cultivated a loyal local trade among the Cork County Council Workers who were based in a nearby machinery yard- when it was raining, they would shelter in the comfort of the warm bar. As well as encouraging card games, Nellie enjoyed impromptu sing-songs. She even had an advertising slogan for the county council men "When the cold wind pinches, come for a drink in Albert lynch' s.
Inside The Old Alberts
In 1983, the pub was passed on to Ellen and Dominick' s only son, Denis Murphy, but as he has several other businesses, it is his son, Denis Murphy Jnr. who runs the business with his wife Joy. In 1997, they extended the pub, building over the back yard so that people no longer get wet when they go to the toilet. The original shop-front was retained, with the new premises being built in keeping with the character of the original building. As a result of the extension, Albert Lynch' s can now accommodate 250 people comfortably, while once it would have held no more than 60.
The pub's clientele remain as eclectic as ever and Albert' s still has a tradition of card-playing and music.